Chicken World recently opened a location on Denman Street in Vancouver. My family frequents the Surrey location so I had heard about them before, but hadn’t tried it myself. On an evening where neither my husband Chris or I felt like cooking, we decided to head over to Chicken World and try many different items from their menu. They have quite a large selection of items that they offer.
We ordered Nashville Billo Burger combos (spicy for me and mild for Chris), an order of chicken nuggets, 5 piece fried chicken, arabian rice, jalapeno poppers and gravy. Here are our thoughts:
- Nashville Billo Burger – I liked it and will definitely order this again. I liked the combination of flavors and the kick. Chris thought his burger was good, but he didn’t feel it was something that stood out.
- French fries and gravy – Golden, crispy fries and a dark, flavorful gravy. Yum!
- Chicken Nuggets – I did not like the nuggets. I could not finish them and ate only one whole and a bite of another. I felt they had a bit of an after taste that I could not explain. I did eat them later on and needed to re-heat them so I don’t know if that played a part in it.
- Fried chicken – These were good. Crispy and not very greasy. Better than your neighborhood KFC.
- Arabian Rice – You don’t often get rice as an option on a fast food menu. I enjoyed the rice and will be getting it again.
- Jalapeno Poppers – Really delicious, especially if you enjoy spicy food like I do. On the Chicken World Instagram account, I saw a photo of the jalapeno poppers being dunked into a sauce and I wonder what the sauce was as one wasn’t included in the order. These were good without the sauce though.
I noticed that there was a poster on the counter that Chicken World feeds the needy on Fridays. I asked about it further and learned that Chicken World opens their doors to any needy or homeless person that comes in on a Friday and provides them with a free meal. I think this is absolutely amazing and I commend them.
A few days after my first visit to Chicken World, I went back to my usual (or more often) low carb eating style. I decided to re-visit Chicken World to see if I could find options that would work for me. I ordered their peri-peri chicken and the coleslaw.
- The Peri-Peri Chicken – Omg, yummy! This is my favorite dish from this restaurant! Love it and I will be getting it again and again and again.
- Coleslaw – Nothing unique or different. If you like coleslaw, you’ll like it.
Also this deserves a mention – during my second visit, the young girl behind the counter also asked me if I’d like some indian chai while I wait for my food. I declined, but I loved that! Never had that happen at a fast food joint before. I’ll definitely be coming back.